Every year, more than 250,000 people are injured in motor vehicle accidents throughout Florida. Approximately 13% of these collisions involve semi-trucks. Accidents involving 18-wheelers are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries for victims. This is especially true when trucks are involved in collisions with smaller vehicles, motorcycles, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Unfortunately, these devastating accidents claim the lives of more than 4,500 people across the United States annually.
In many cases, victims sustain disastrous injuries in truck accidents as a result of another driver’s reckless and negligent actions. These accidents often force victims into area hospitals where they have to endure extensive medical treatment. Due to the severity of these accidents, numerous victims are left with permanent disabilities that continue to impact their health and wellbeing indefinitely. Not only do truck accidents have a detrimental impact on the mental and physical wellbeing of victims but they are often forced to endure overwhelming financial burdens as well. For this reason, it is crucial that victims harmed in trucking accidents reach out to a reputable truck accident attorney in Jacksonville as soon as possible in order to protect their legal rights.
Our attorneys at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates have extensive experience helping victims protect their legal rights after being harmed in truck collisions in Florida. Our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys fight on behalf of injured truck accident victims to ensure they get the justice and compensation they deserve. If you were injured in a truck accident, due to the actions of another driver, contact our Jacksonville, Florida truck accident attorneys as soon as possible to see how we can assist you.
Help with Your Truck Accident Claim
Being involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler can be life-changing. Unfortunately, victims are often left with permanent impairments that continue to impact their abilities to work and engage in many activities they once enjoyed. When truck accidents are caused by reckless and negligent drivers, it is crucial that victims work with an aggressive truck accident attorney in Jacksonville to protect their legal rights.
Our attorneys at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates have extensive knowledge regarding laws and regulations surrounding truck accidents. Without a doubt, trucking accidents are far more complex than standard auto accidents, which makes it exceedingly important that victims retain the legal guidance of a skilled and aggressive legal team to handle their case.
Our Jacksonville personal injury attorneys are well-versed in helping truck accident victims protect their legal rights and get the justice they deserve after devastating collisions. To do so, our team provides a multitude of services to ensure victims are able to protect their legal rights while focusing on recovery. Some of the services our skilled and knowledgeable attorneys at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates provide for victims include, but are not limited to:
- Gathering evidence to prove the at-fault driver’s liability
- Take witness statements and obtain police reports
- Hire experts who can recreate the accident to demonstrate the critical details surrounding the accident
- Work with financial experts who can accurately determine lost earnings based on calculated factors
- Handle all paperwork effectively and in a timely manner to meet all deadlines set by the court and protect their legal claim
- Aggressively negotiate full and fair compensation for damages incurred due to the trucking accident
- Provide aggressive and competent legal representation for victims in trial whenever necessary
Our team is dedicated to helping victims get the justice and compensation they deserve for their injuries and damages. We relentlessly fight so those harmed are in the best mental, physical, and financial position to progress forward after their accidents.
Types of Truck Accidents in Jacksonville
Truck accidents are often calamitous. The size and weight of these vehicles compared to any other vehicle on the road means they are more likely to leave victims with life-altering injuries that require extensive medical treatment. Like other types of accidents, the type of truck accident you are involved in will have a considerable impact on the severity and types of injuries victims sustain. There are a variety of truck accident types that can impact drivers across our state. Some of the most common types of truck accidents our team at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates has helped victims with include:
- Jackknife Accidents: Couplings are devices used to attach trailers to the front cabs of 18-wheelers. When these coupling devices fail, or when trailers are thrown off balance, it can cause the trailer to swing out perpendicular to the front end. Jackknifing trailers can crash into other vehicles traveling in adjacent lanes and cause widespread injuries and damages
- Runaway Trucks: When truck drivers are unable to slow or stop their vehicles, the weight of the truck can force it to barrel unrelentingly down the roadway. This can lead to deadly accidents if these vehicles crash into others. The severity of the accident drastically increases when truck drivers were already traveling at high rates of speed or when traveling downhill.
- Rollover Accidents: Without a doubt, semi-trucks have higher centers of gravity than other vehicles sharing the road. For this reason, it is easy for them to tip over, especially in high-wind conditions. When trucks travel too fast around curved roads, they are likely to shift their center of gravity causing them to roll over. Other vehicles sharing the road can be seriously damaged or crushed in these accidents.
- Override Accidents: In most collisions, rear-end accidents are considered minor fender-benders. This is not typically the case with semi-truck rear-end collisions. When 18-wheelers rear-end smaller vehicles, they may actually drive right over the rear-end of the vehicle or up through to the back seat. This can result in fatal injuries for the occupants inside the smaller vehicles.
- Underride Accidents: This type of accident occurs when small cars crash into the rear-end of semi-trucks. The smaller vehicles then become wedged under the truck, which often results in fatal injuries for drivers and front-seat passengers. Although semi-trucks have guards to prevent this type of accident, they still occur fairly regularly with fatal consequences.
- Cargo Spills: There are some truck accidents that do not involve any direct contact with other vehicles, but can still have unfortunate consequences. These truck accidents are the result of cargo spilling or shifting in the trailer. When cargo is not loaded properly or overloaded, it can cause the truck to roll over and result in devastating injuries. In other cases, cargo shifts can cause their loads to go through the front of the truck and strike the driver, fall onto other vehicles on the road, or spill potentially harmful substances.
If you were injured in a truck accident due to the reckless or negligent actions of another driver, contact our personal injury attorneys in Jacksonville, Florida as soon as possible to get the justice you deserve.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Like other types of auto accidents, semi-truck accidents can happen for a multitude of reasons. Reports from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration finds that driver errors are the leading cause of truck accidents across Florida and the entire country. Some of the most common types of negligent actions causing tragic collisions include:
- Distracted Drivers
- Fatigued Drivers
- Impaired Drivers
- Tire Blowouts
- Blind Spots
- Lane Drifting
- Objects in the Road
- Brake Malfunctions
- Aggressive Driving Behaviors
- Traffic Violations
- FMCSA Regulation Violations
- Improper Loading of Cargo
- Driving with Health Problems
- Inadequate Maintenance
- Unqualified Drivers
- Inadequate Management
Determining the cause of the collision will have an enormous impact on a victim’s ability to recover from their accident. Working with a reputable truck accident attorney in Jacksonville is a victim’s best bet at recovering full and fair compensation for their injuries and damages.
Liability in a Truck Accident in Jacksonville
Without a doubt, there are numerous factors that can influence a truck accident in Florida. In some cases, the actions of a third-party are the cause of these life-changing accidents. When people are injured in truck accidents as a result of a third-party’s actions, they may be able to file legal claims against those responsible. It is imperative to identify who is at fault for the accident to ensure victims are able to collect full and fair compensation to cover the damages they’ve incurred.
Unlike regular car accidents, semi-truck accidents can have several parties who are liable for the resulting damages. Some of the most common parties subjected to personal injury lawsuits from truck accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Truck Drivers: There are numerous instances where truck drivers engage in reckless and negligent behaviors while behind the wheel. These drivers who act recklessly toward other vehicles and drivers on the roadway can be held liable for injuries and damages resulting from the accidents they cause.
- Truck Companies: When it comes to semi-trucks and other commercial vehicles, it is imperative that drivers are experienced, thoroughly trained, and qualified to conduct business in a respectful manner. Truck companies are required by law to provide thorough training to drivers and to ensure they are qualified to operate the vehicles. When companies hire incompetent drivers, they can be held liable for injuries and damages resulting from accidents caused by drivers they employ.
- The Owners of the Truck: The owners of semi-trucks can be held liable for resulting injuries in damages under various circumstances. Generally, truck owners are responsible for finding experienced and licensed drivers to operate their trucks. Furthermore, truck owners are required to ensure the vehicles undergo adequate maintenance and inspections. If any of these responsibilities are not met, they can be held liable for the resulting injuries and damages.
- Cargo Companies: When loading trailers, workers are required to adhere to strict safety procedures and protocols. It is imperative that trucks do not exceed the load limits and that all cargo is loaded in a consistent, well-balanced manner. When cargo is not loaded onto a trailer properly, it can lead to devastating spills and shifts. When these accidents occur, cargo companies can be held liable for resulting injuries and damages.
- Manufacturers: It is absolutely critical that all parts of semi-trucks function as intended. When brakes malfunction, accelerators do not work properly, and other parts fail, it can lead to grievous accidents. Vehicle parts that do not function appropriately can drastically impact a driver’s ability to control their vehicle. When accidents occur as a result of a manufacturer defect, those responsible can be held liable for all resulting damages.
If you were injured in a truck accident, as a result of another driver’s actions, contact our Jacksonville truck accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates as soon as possible to explore legal options available for you.
The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates Can Help You
Around 80 people are injured in truck accidents throughout Florida daily. These unpredictable collisions are often preventable. Yet we continue to see the deadly consequences of careless and negligent drivers sharing the road. In many cases, those harmed in truck accidents are hospitalized for days or even weeks to endure multiple surgeries, medical treatments, and endless therapy. Countless victims harmed in truck accidents never truly recover from their injuries. Instead, they are left to deal with long-term pain and suffering. When victims are harmed in trucking collisions, due to the reckless actions of others, they should reach out to a truck accident attorney in Jacksonville to get the justice they deserve.
Over the years, our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Sheftall & Associates have helped victims hold wrongdoers accountable so they can get the justice they deserve after being injured in devastating truck accidents. Our aggressive and competent attorneys provide effective and cost-efficient legal representation to people throughout northeastern Florida by aggressively negotiating full and fair compensation to ensure victims are able to get the medical treatment they need and tend to their financial burdens as they recover. Contact our truck accident lawyers in Jacksonville by calling (904) 647-2296 at your earliest convenience to schedule a free no obligations consultation and explore the legal options available to you.