Ways That You Can Prevent Drowsy DrivingSheftall Law
Drowsy driving is one of the biggest issues on United States roads, especially because it can lead to catastrophic and even fatal outcomes. When a driver has not slept enough due to work or other reasons, they are more likely to be involved in one of these serious collisions. These accidents can also happen due to reasons like sleeping disorders, medications, alcohol use, and more.
Many individuals do not understand the huge impact that drowsy driving can have on a person. This type of dangerous driving can cause a person to pay less attention to our roads, slow their reaction time when they are expected to brake, and impair their ability to make good road decisions. Drowsy driving was responsible for a total of 44,000 injuries in the U.S. in 2013 alone and these numbers are only growing. Because of this, it is important that individuals understand how they can prevent these accidents.
When Drowsy Driving Most Often Occurs
It is true that a drowsy driving accident can happen any hour of the day, especially knowing that individuals work every hour of the day. However, they are more likely to happen between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. This is when people are known to have the most major dips in their circadian rhythm, which is the body’s internal clock that helps them regulate their sleeping patterns. These accidents happen most commonly on rural roads and highways as well.
How You Can Avoid Drowsy Driving
There are many ways that you and others can work to prevent drowsy driving incidents on our roadways. These include some of the following:
- One of the best ways to prevent drowsy driving on our roadways is to get adequate sleep. When you are driving while tired because of a lack of sleep, this is when you are most likely to become involved in a serious collision. Experts say that those who utilize our roads should make it a priority to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night.
- If you know that you will be taking a long road trip, including those with your family, you want to ensure that you sleep the recommended hours so that you do not put your family or others at risk.
- Teens are also incredibly vulnerable to drowsy driving accidents. Their biological need for sleep increases, which is why they should only be driving when they are well-rested.
- Always avoid drinking before driving. If you drink before driving, the alcohol could interact with your ability to stay awake and make good decisions on the roads.
- If you tend to take medications that cause drowsiness, use public transportation or other modes instead of driving yourself.
How an Attorney Can Help if You’ve Been Injured
When it comes to your accident, you deserve peace and justice as you work toward your recovery. Speaking with a Florida car accident attorney can be a beneficial experience as we help you gather evidence and aggressively protect your rights in your time of need. Do not delay getting help but instead speak with our attorneys at Sheftall & Associates as soon as possible to protect your rights. Please contact our Florida accident attorneys at 904-647-2296 for more information on how we can assist you at this time.