Providing outstanding legal services for over 40 years


Jacksonville Beach, FL – One Injured in House Fire at 1st Ave N

Wrongful Death Claims in Florida: FAQs

When a loved one has lost their life in an accident, family members can bring what is known as a ‘wrongful death lawsuit’ against those at-fault. Wrongful death actions are brought against reckless parties who have caused the death of a loved one. Family members have a right to compensation and may find that they are eligible for a variety of aspects that will help them move forward both emotionally and financially after an accident.

Losing a loved one is never easy and family members typically have a variety of questions about these cases and how they can move forward.

Wrongful Death FAQs 

Who can recover money through a wrongful death lawsuit? If a person dies because of injuries that they sustained in a car accident, family members might be able to bring a wrongful death suit. In many cases, the person’s heirs are first looked at so that they can recover on behalf of a loved one who has been taken from them prematurely. In some cases, the executor or personal representation of the estate, who has been previously appointed, will see the case through to the end.

Will a family member be able to compensate for punitive damages? Depending on the circumstances of the claim, a family member or personal representative might find that they are eligible for punitive damages. These damages are usually meant to punish a defendant and might be brought only in cases that involve gross negligence on behalf of a defendant. They are not typical in every case. 

If a loved one never held a job, can a wrongful death suit be brought? Yes, because in many cases, a decedent has contributed to the family in some way. In some cases, a family might even be able to receive compensation for the loss of services when a stay-at-home parent is killed in an accident.

Can pain and suffering play a role in one of these claims? Yes. A family might be able to receive compensation for monetary losses for services that their loved one provided, as well as pain and suffering damages.

If a child or elderly person died, can a wrongful death suit be brought? Yes, you will be able to receive compensation even on behalf of a child or elderly person. The damages might not be as extensive but you will still be able to recover based on the losses you claim you have suffered due to their death.

Speaking with a Skilled Wrongful Death Attorney

The aftermath of a fatal accident can leave an enormous impact on a victim’s life. Because of this, our skilled attorneys at Sheftall & Associates are here to assist you through these trying times and ensure that your rights are protected. Our attorneys have handled many wrongful death claims and are committed to helping you recover for aspects including lost wages, medical bills, funeral costs, and more. If you have lost somebody close to you suddenly in an accident that is not their fault, please contact our attorneys in Florida immediately at 904-647-2296.