Jacksonville Accident News
Whiplash Injuries Caused by a Florida Car Accident
There are many injuries that are common following a Florida car accident. Among the most common injuries that are taken to court each year are whiplash injuries. Whiplash is an injury to the neck that occurs when there is rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck. Many of the accidents that cause these injuries are accidents that involve rear-ending. Many people experience serious symptoms due to these injuries, which is why it is important to know that you have options after you have suffered one of these injuries in an accident.
One of the major issues with whiplash injuries is the fact that they are not always taken seriously by insurance companies. Insurers will sometimes attempt to downplay these injuries because they think that all whiplash injuries are ‘minor’ in nature. If you have sustained a whiplash injury and you are dealing with debilitating symptoms, it is imperative to know how you can protect your rights by understanding what to do after an accident and how an attorney can help.
The Debilitating Symptoms of Whiplash Injuries
The signs and symptoms of whiplash typically do not take long to develop. Some of the most common include the following:
- Stiffness and general pain in the neck
- Worsening pain when you move your neck
- Headaches at the base of the skull
- Tenderness or pain in the shoulder
- Fatigue and dizziness
When you suspect that you have whiplash or any other type of injury following a car accident, you must take the injury seriously. It is imperative to get a prompt diagnosis from a medical professional so that you can ensure that you are receiving the best treatment possible.
Steps to Take After Your Accident
One of the most important parts of receiving compensation for your whiplash injury is to protect your rights early-on after an accident. This means taking some steps that will help you in your claim later on down the road.
- Check yourself for injuries and get medical attention as soon as possible so that you can rule out more serious conditions.
- Call the police to the scene of your collision, who will be able to make a police report that can assist you in your claim.
- Exchange information with the other parties.
- Document the accident so that all information can be protected until you arrive at settlement or court.
- Notify your insurer so that you can get started on the claims process and working toward the compensation you deserve.
Speaking with an Attorney After a Whiplash Injury
Whiplash injuries might seem as if they are minor in nature, but the truth is that they can be extremely debilitating and expensive based on the medical care you require. They will also consider how long the injury takes to heal. Many whiplash injuries heal in a matter of months but this is not the case for some injuries, as the symptoms can be longer-lasting.
Speaking with an attorney is one of the most important steps that you can take. Our skilled Florida personal injury attorneys at Sheftall & Associates have assisted many victims after life-changing accidents have led to injuries. Injuries can be complicated and take a huge toll on your life, which is why you should never go without the help and expertise of a Florida car accident attorney. Contact us for more information on your claim at (904) 638-7712.